TRACE Austin is a sleek and sophisticated restaurant featuring the finest flavors of Central Texas sourced directly from the region's surrounding farms. We invite you to experience our downtown Austin restaurant featuring ever-changing medleys of Texas cuisine, artisan cheeses and heritage meats from the finest...
The W Austin is an eco-friendly hotel in Austin, where we’re keen to be green. At W Austin, you can indulge without checking your conscience at the door. W Austin is part of Block 21, the first mixed-occupancy project of this type and size in the world to achieve LEED® certification. Read the complete Block 21 and Stratus Properties Sustainability Case Study >>
At the W Austin you can feel good about your impact on the environment without sacrificing style or comfort. While maintaining a leadership role in the green hotel movement in Austin, we have a continued our Whatever/Whenever service promise to providing luxurious, lifestyle experiences for our guests.
Interested in going green during your stay? Learn more about our Make a Green Choice Program.
Energy and Water Conservation
- Low flow shower heads and low volume toilet
- Light fixtures installed utilize compact fluorescent bulbs or tubes
- Motion detectors to control lighting based on occupancy of given spaces
- Variable speed drivers on all pumps & fans; motor run speed based on demand
- State of the art thermostats in rooms; energy saving when unoccupied, uses motion detection
- Kitchen exhaust is ‘cleaned’ before leaving the building with Pollution Control Units
- 25-30% reduction on water consumption with LEED certified fixtures: Low flow shower heads and low volume toilet
- Partnership with Texas Disposal Systems to haul and process all compostable, recyclable, and landfill materials for the entire mixed use building
- Compost buckets and recycling bins are utilized in all kitchens, offices, bathrooms, and the employee cafeteria and all compostable and recyclable waste is separated, gathered, and deposited in the appropriate compactor
- Recycling bins on front drive of hotel, in rooms and in public areas of banquet space
- Concierge and Welcome desk uses electronic means of communicating directions, confirmations, folios and itineraries to guests rather than printing (unless requested)
- Eliminated all most single serving packaging in restaurant and employee cafeteria
- Collect used packing materials and keep at loading dock for reuse
Indoor Environmental Quality
- All paint used in construction project & all repairs made after use low VOC paints.
- We aimed to use low toxicity adhesives during build-out/maintenance
- CO2 sensors installed throughout building to ensure there that if there is a buildup of CO2, the system will circulate fresh air into that area
- Use of mercury free fluorescent lighting in all guest rooms & back of house areas
Raising Awareness through Engagement with Hotel talent and Guests
- Active Green Council meets monthly to review green policy and talent education
- Green Council tours TDS (Texas Disposal Systems) to learn firsthand where and how our landfill, composting and recycling materials are processes
- Have appointed a Sustainability Champion
- Provide lockable bicycle parking stations for talent and guests
- Use of bicycles to guests
- Offer guests shuttle services to special events such as football games, Formula One track, etc.
- We offer use of pedi-cabs to ours guests as an alternative means of transportation
As part of Block 21’s ongoing effort to advance the commitment to green building infrastructure, W Austin forged a unique partnership with the local non-profit Central Texas Bee Rescue (CTBR), installing ten hives on the building’s 37th floor rooftop - the first ever apiary on a downtown Austin high-rise building.
Transforming a barren rooftop into food-producing real estate, the hives will produce enough honey for W Austin’s TRACE Restaurant to integrate into food and beverage menu offerings and will eventually be incorporated into a variety of treatments in the property’s 4th floor AWAY Spa, drawing on honey’s healing and restorative properties.